Thursday, November 19, 2009

the transfer of an inspirational mentor...

Dear Family,
I just learned of the shocking and tragic departure of one of my favorite BYU professors, Kay Mortensen. This is the text of the link (it wouldn't appear when I used the "link option"):
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705345273/Payson-slaying-victim-identified.html

Professor Mortensen is an important mentor in my educational development, and I could not proceed without taking the time to post the following commment on the website of the news story. I want to share it with all of you.
Love, Dad

"I, too, wish to add my condolences to all that knew and loved Kay Mortensen. I'm sure there were many other contributions of which I am unaware, but to me, he was a consummate professor. I very much enjoyed 'sitting at his feet' to learn about metallurgy, materials science, and machine design. Although that was over 30 years ago, I have vivid memories of his enthusiasm for learning, his competence on so many subjects, and his inspiring stories of real-life experiences. For his master's thesis, he accurately predicted the surface density of the moon, just before the astronauts landed there. After some practical experiments, he shut himself in a room for a couple days to work out the theory. "Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection." I'm sure he will continue to teach and inspire others, on the other side of the veil. Until we meet again..."

1 comment:

Nicole Douglas said...

I still think it was interesting that one of my first assignments as a new mechanical engr dept chair secretary was to prepare for the annual dept dinner where we were honoring Kay. It's a small and wonderful world.