Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wedding Memories


We are a week and a day past the big event - "Brangela's" wedding - and I thought I had better record some memories stored in my brain but apparently irretrievable after a short period of time! The pictures added are not professional but they are all I have at the moment.

When Angela and I first discussed what was most important to put money into for her wedding she listed 3 things: the announcements, the dress, and the photographer. In looking back, I would say she hit 100% on all 3. Her announcements were called by some "the classiest ever!"; her dress which she and my dear friend, Linnell Mikkelsen, designed and Linnell created was one of a kind and so perfect for Angela - she just looked radiantly beautiful but not overdone; the photographer was a gift from heaven - a professional looking to do some weddings for free to build his portfolio. Thanks so much, Guy! I will add some of those pictures later.

For Blaine and I, we decided that food was high on the list. After all, once you have stood in line, signed the book, and wished the new couple a happy life, it's all about the food! Some of my warmest memories will always be how hard my dear friends worked to make that come true. Marlin and Cindy Harker took on that request with great zeal and provided a spread that not only tasted fantastic, but looked elegant. Together with their "team", it all came together and made for a wonderful night.

And of course, the food included the wedding cake. Along comes Ashley Kitchen, Blaine's niece who is currently living with us. One day she announces that she would like to do the cake as her payback for a place to live. Though she had never done a wedding cake, she did what it took to learn. We loved doing our part - eating as much of the practice cake as we could! Brandon's brother, Tyler, also got into the act and was Ashley's key helper. The final outcome was so perfectly beautiful and delicious, made even more so to me because of the love put into it. Thank you, Ashley.

Later in the planning, we decided to add a groom's cake, complete with wheat grass and antlers to represent Brandon's love of the great outdoors. Though Brandon had seen the antlers laying around and asked why I was growing wheat grass, we managed to make the cake a surprise. He loved it.

The most important memories of the wedding are centered on family. Having my parents, my sister and many of Blaine's family here added so much. My sister in particular became my go-to girl for all the final preparations. And as we met for a family dinner with the Roses the night before the big event, I felt deep gratitude for Brandon's family. Dave and Laurel have raised a great family and I am honored to be connected to them.

All of our own children (plus 2 of our grandchildren) made financial and other sacrifices to be here, but they wouldn't have had it any other way. Having all of our children together in the sealing room was an experience too great for words. A small taste of the eternities? Truly, creating eternal families is what this life is to be about. This new creation is going to be a great one!

No comments: