Sunday, March 2, 2008

Out of Practice

This week Russ learned that the movie "Enchanted" (a film for which we had heard rave reviews from family and friends) would be playing in the UD campus theater both Friday and Saturday night. Knowing that I really wanted to see the movie, he got tickets for us to go to the 10:00 pm showing on Friday. He found some friends to come over and stay with the girls (who were already asleep) so that we could go on an actual date together. I was excited about the date and excited about the movie, because we had heard such great things about it. The show was enjoyable, and of course I enjoyed getting out with Russ . . . but I found myself feeling very impatient and antsy about halfway through. I just wanted to arrive at the end.

It wasn't because I was worried about the girls - they were asleep.
It wasn't because I didn't like being with Russ - I love spending time with him.
It wasn't because the storyline was slow - it moved along just fine.
It wasn't even because I wanted to find out what would happen - the plot was fairly predictable.

So, I decided it was because I'm way out of practice as a moviegoer. I'm just not used to watching an entire movie in one sitting and having only that to focus on. When Kaylee and I watch movies I'm always busy doing things around the house and taking care of Ashlyn. And when Russ and I watch movies we usually only get about halfway through before we decide we are too tired to finish.

Maybe next time I want to see a new movie I'll just wait a few months for the release, then Russ and I can watch it in two blocks, or I can at least find some busywork to do at the same time. :)

No comments: