Friday, September 11, 2009

what matters most...

We were all in different settings on the morning of September 11th, 2001, but for a time, everyone's focus shifted to what matters most.

"And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him." (Helaman 12:3)

Gradually, people gravitated back to where their hearts are, but some people were changed forever. I cannot think of that day without thinking about children whose mommies and daddies didn't come home that night, for such a senseless reason...

8:46am: Flight 11 smashes into the North Tower
9:03am: Flight 175 smashes into the South Tower
9:38am: Flight 77 smashes into the Pentagon
9:59am: The South Tower collapses
10:06am: Flight 93 crashes near Shanksville
10:29am: The North Tower collapses

This is a link to a video on the main page of the Church's web site. It is a wonderful way to review the long term effects of what happened that day. It lasts about 8 1/2 minutes, but I highly recommend it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkWc_EKLs4E

Whatever else you do today, remember what matters most... remember to say what needs to be said... remember to do what needs to be done... remember to pour your hearts out in gratitude to our Father for his Grace to all of us.

Although I have been given the opportunity to experience fear, uncertainty, and depression, I have been lifted above all that. I know that His yoke is easy, and his burden is light. I know that in a much deeper way than I ever did before.

I feel that I have always remembered what matters most -- my Father, His Son, and my family. Perhaps the value in what I have been through is that I know that I know, more deeply.

You are all the joy of my life! I thank each of you for being who you are.
I Love You Eternally! -- Dad

1 comment:

Anne Burnett said...

Thank you for the video link, Dad. I was a missionary at the time, and missed much of the coverage as a result. It is definitely good to remember.