Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hi family,

It is Sunday - Russ' birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RUSS. Leave it to Grandpa to figure out that this is the only time in his lifetime that he will be celebrating his 28th birthday on the 28th of the month. Sorry, Doug, you were 2 when that happened! But Angie can say that next year. Just a point of interest.

I guess you have figured out on the topic of employment that no news means just that... no news yet! When there is, we will happily share the excitement! The family run business that does industrial labeling is still a possibility and I think the one he is hoping will work out. He will probably know the final outcome of that later this week. That company did hire Brian Heintz so Dad is very grateful to have been able to help there. Now that he is seriously looking, it does feel like there are good opportunities out there and some here in the Portland area so we are feeling good about it all. Truly this would be a very different experience without the peace that the spirit brings. We feel and appreciate your prayers and feel confident it will all come out better than we could have planned ourselves. It has been wonderful to have him at home and I know we will look back fondly on this time together.

This week should also bring to close the majority of the house painting project. I can't wait! The painters are coming tomorrow and Tuesday and the weather is supposed to be dry and hot so the timing looks good. We will be doing the trim that isn't dangerous to reach ourselves, but that won't be bad. Dad has spent hours and hours powerwashing the roof and house and both of us many hours caulking, etc. Our hard work will pay off and that will feel good. I think of Nikki and Jason often when working.

I had a wonderful experience this week with Linnell. We went to Wamic, OR Tuesday - Thursday where a friend of hers lives. He has 80 acres with access to like 30,000 more on government land. The Mikkelsens have a few of their horses there and their friend has several others. Linnell and I rode for several hours Tuesday and Wednesday. We loaded up the saddle bags with Cheetos and peanut M&M's and drinks and off we went. We collected wild turkey feathers along the way, saw some deer and an eagle, crossed streams, rode in beautiful green and golden meadows with the Cascade mountains (including Mt Hood) as our backdrop, felt like The Man From Snowy River as we decended a very steep mountain, and sang the tune from Bonanza as we went. I was in heaven. It is hard to put into words what I was feeling. The second day I chose to ride a horse named Jake. I saw him the day before and felt an instant connection. He has a little more spunk than Norman (my Tuesday mount), but it was more than that. I felt like that old connection was back. You have probably heard me say that my love of horses is more about the relationship with the horse which is like no other animal because you are working together. A horse is big and powerful yet controlled by just a touch of a rein or a leg, and by voice. Jake and I connected and it touched in me something I haven't felt in a very long time. I have always felt my love of horses it a gift and have felt deep gratitude for the unique opportunities I have had in my early years to enjoy that gift. It was exciting to discover the gift is still there. When I picture living in the celestial kingdom, it includes rides like these on horses I have loved. Maybe Casey will be running beside as well. Those are some of my happy thoughts.

I love you all!

MOM

1 comment:

Anne Burnett said...

I'm so impressed with all of this blogging! I'm glad you had a nice couple of days with your friend and your horses. :)