Thursday, March 19, 2009

Call me a hypocrit...

So in trying to send out a family update letter, a "we've moved" letter and a birth announcement (finally) I realized how nice it would be to have more email addresses of my friends so I didn't have to pay for stamps to mail letters...so I signed up for facebook...call me a hypocrit. I guess I've realized that there are good things about facebook. Not only do I see now how it's valuable to find old friends when you want to send out updates like this one, but I also see that I'm more likely to stay in touch with friends I wouldn't have otherwise been in touch with because I found them on facebook. Yes, I know I said "why spend time keeping in touch with friends that live far away when I don't even have time to keep in touch with the friends that are here in person" which I do still value face-to-face contact with friends (of course--as I'm sure most facebook users agree), but since I'm stuck at home with the kids with no car a few days a week I'm seeing how this could make my at-home life more enjoyable and give me more to look forward to...especially since I'm finding my cell phone minutes are getting used up more and since we've moved across country and I miss my friends. And I see I can be on facebook without getting all those emails about being "poked" and such. Most of my stigma about belonging to facebook comes from having been a hall advisor and I saw so many freshman be literally addicted to it or be really dumb with it. Now I realize judging things by what freshman do is never a good idea no matter what it is. :)

2 comments:

Nicole Douglas said...

This article was just posted today. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5905800

Isn't it interesting that we live in a world where we have to tell people that some things just need to be said in private with some reason (i.e. why you don't want to be their friend anymore). I hear this daily...from Bekah and her kindergarten friends ("You're not my friend anymore"). Granted they do it face to face, but since they do it without any reasons just for the fun of it, it hurts feelings and is hard for them to understand. Most kids used to learn communication etiquette by observing parents and others. Now we have to be more proactive I guess about teaching what we feel is good practice for texting, emailing, blogging, IMing, etc. Now the challenge I'm having is figuring out how to do those things and then how to do them appropriately! I'm not even over-the-hill and I already feel like technology is going to leave me in the dust if I don't start doing these things!

Doug Burnett said...

It just so happened that Emily joined Facebook a few days ago too. She needed to see a Facebook page of a school she is looking to teach at so she joined! Another one bites the dust :) .