Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Oyster and the Grain

Hey Fam. Here is my Thanksgiving Day poem for this year. I ended up doing it as the final project for my 2D Animation class. The video here is just an "animatic" meaning that it is the storyboard with the actual timing. I am still working on the final version but I wanted to share it. Dad, I'm not trying to replace the official oyster poem but wanted to use the story to apply to gratitude even more. Emily and I love you all and are so grateful for you all.




There was an oyster with a grain,
His gritted mouth had tasted pain.
A sanded victim of the sea,
Complained, complained did he.

The oyster oozed the victim's groan,
"The fault of all," he did bemoan,
"Hath poured upon me," yet come see,
Remained, remained did he.

The oyster stewed there in his shell,
But over time, the anger fell.
A gritted tongue epiphany,
Explained, explained did he.

"If I cannot remove the grain,
I must indeed improve the same.
For happiness is always free."
Proclaimed, proclaimed did he.

But oyster's time on waves before
Did roll along until the shore.
And oyster stewed but yet the grain
A pearl, a pearl became.

There was an oyster and a grain,
And every oyster just the same.
We are an oyster; let us be,
Grateful, gratefully.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Doug! I love it; you have such talent. The poem and the video are pretty sweet. FYI: the second link brought up nothing for me.