Sunday, January 17, 2010

In looking through the church's website, I came across this clever idea and thought I would share it...

Family Home Evening Helps: Picture a Song

Mark and Cindy Smith, "Family Home Evening Helps: Picture a Song," Ensign, July 2005, 73
When our children were small, we often taught them songs from the Children's Songbook for family home evening. We would first explain a song, then invite the children to illustrate the lyrics. After learning several songs this way, our children soon had their own illustrated versions of the songbook. Even our smallest children who couldn't yet read could easily follow and understand the songs because of the pictures they'd made. As a family, we enjoyed singing the songs around the house or while traveling. When our children hum or sing Church songs, we feel blessed that they are choosing to "seek the Lord early while in [their] youth." Our hope is that as they grow older, "He will help [them] to know the truth" ("Seek the Lord Early," Children's Songbook, 108).

1 comment:

Nicole Douglas said...

How interesting that you just posted this...Rebekah is sick today so I was trying to think of fun things to do related to church since we are home alone today. I turned to a Del Parson type illustrated favorite LDS children's songbook I got for Christmas and suddenly got the idea to draw simple pictures of some of the things the songs talked about and then show it to Bekah and see if she could guess the song. She liked it! Then we got to sing the song together and she got to color the drawings in. When things like this happen--that I find I just thought of or am doing something that another mom thought of too--I always feel uplifted because it makes me feel like I'm doing something right...and that the Spirit can touch many people in the same way to teach them what to do.
Thanks, mom.