Tuesday, March 22, 2011

all these things shall give thee experience...

I had a wonderful birthday celebration, and noticed a bit of a sore throat and aches in my neck and head towards the end of the day. We went to an all-day seminar on Monday, served in the temple Tuesday morning, and worked in the office that afternoon. All the while, I felt yucky, but I didn't know what else to do. So I plodded along, working in the office on Wednesday. My skin became tender, and my teeth became very sensitive on the right side, both signs of a sinus infection. I attended a board meeting Thursday night, but other than that, I was pretty worthless through Sunday. It was Ward Conference, and the choir was supposed to sing, so I endured through that, and went home right afterwards. Sunday afternoon, the blotches started forming. I did not want to endure another night without good rest, so we went into emergency. The doctor asked lots of questions, and then admitted she was concerned about the possibility of shingles.

Monday morning, I read up on shingles and found a definite match:
"The earliest symptoms of herpes zoster, which include headache, fever, and malaise, are nonspecific, and may result in an incorrect diagnosis. These symptoms are commonly followed by sensations of burning pain, itching, hyperesthesia (oversensitivity), or paresthesia ("pins and needles": tingling, pricking, or numbness). The pain may be mild to extreme in the affected dermatome, with sensations that are often described as stinging, tingling, aching, numbing or throbbing, and can be interspersed with quick stabs of agonizing pain."

"Eye involvement - trigeminal nerve involvement (as seen in herpes ophthalmicus) should be treated early and aggressively as it may lead to blindness. Involvement of the tip of the nose in the zoster rash is a strong predictor of herpes ophthalmicus"

Since by now, the rash had spread to from my right eye to the tip of my nose, I was convinced I needed to act quickly. (My nose, as you know, was already large enough without the added swelling  ;-)  We saw a doctor Monday afternoon, she prescribed acyclovir, and warned me to watch carefully for eye pain, light sensitivity, or blurred vision. If that develops, I will need an IV immediately.

Poor Susan -- about all she has done for a week is tend to my needs. What a blessing it is to have such a wonderful helpmeet for almost 34 years.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but I thought it would enhance your understanding of my situation. I humbly request your prayers in my behalf.

1 comment:

Dadburnit said...

Update: We talked with the nurse on the phone this morning. She said if it hadn't spread to my eye by now, it probably would not. That is very good news.

I didn't mention that I threw up three times on Monday, and once Tuesday morning. I've been eating small amounts of bland things, but believe it or not, the first thing I was able to keep down was "Fruit Loops". For my birthday gathering, Mom had people bring boxes of cereal, so that turned out to be great timing.

None of the symptoms are that bad so far, although I'm very tired of the headache that I've had for ten days now. It's not so bad during the day, but it keeps me up at night. The other challenge is the malaise that removes ANY motivation to do anything. Mom has remained upbeat throughout! What a blessing to me!

Some of the blisters are now scabbing, which is a beautiful sight, but it is beautiful because that means progress. Thanks for your prayers! Love, Dad