Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mothers Day


A second grade teacher who had given a lesson on magnets gave a test question: "What starts with 'M' and picks up things?" Many of the children wrote "Mother".

I have been reading through some old letters recently and came across one today that I had written October 19, 1979 to my mother for her birthday. Nickie (how we originally spelled it) was just 5 1/2 months old...

"...I am just beginning to get a glimpse of what it's all about. The thing that I think scares me the most is the hurt that goes along with being a mother. When Nickie hurts, I will hurt. When she goes off to school for the first time - whether elementary school or college - I will hurt. When she seems to not appreciate her mother - it will hurt. It's just so overwhelming to think about the permanency of this job and all the emotions that go with it. And then I wonder how you survived me and the hurt I put you through. My only hope is that I have given you an equal amount of happiness. Though I am certainly no expert, having only been in this line of work for 5 1/2 months, I still feel this is the greatest work I can accomplish on this earth and I feel so lucky for this opportunity...."

So, on this Mother's Day, I wish all the women in my family - my dear mother who raised me, and those dear daughters who are raising our grandchildren and those who will yet do so - a very wonderful day. Celebrate!

2 comments:

Anne Burnett said...

Thanks, MOM! Happy Mother's Day to you, as well. Thanks for raising such a great group of kids. :)

Dadburnit said...

To all the mothers,
and mothers-to-be,
there are no others
more blessed than thee.
Of all God's creations
we've understood,
most deserving oblations,
He called it "good".

"Happy Mother's Day!"